Becoming a Psychologist's

Becoming a Psychologist's.

Becoming a Psychologist's.

A hypertext narrative by

Sathusa Bala

Created with

The Virtual Writing Tutor Grammar Checker

Next

Word count: 1144

Choice count: 33

Section count: 22

Image count: 22

Error count: 1

Field Related Analysis

Education : 66 matches

(adult, choice, classes, college, continuing, degree, doctorate, don, field, first, games, goal, learn, learned, learning, project, research, research project, school, social, students, training, work experience)

Social Work : 25 matches

(child, client, community, counseling, counselor, health, help, mental health, social)

Law : 23 matches

(alienation, bond, child, children, client, clinical, community, development, local, master, process)

Target Structure: (10 matches)

alienation (1 match)

fulfillment (1 match)

hinder (1 match)

internship (2 matches)

invaluable (1 match)

purpose (1 match)

undermine (1 match)

withhold (1 match)

worthwhile (1 match)

abroad (1 match)

Next

Becoming a Psychologist's.

Everything started like this.

I just finished my Social Science degree in Psychology at Ahuntsic College. Helping people has always been important to me. As I think about my future, I'm excited to see all the different jobs I can do in this field. After learning how to understand people who feel powerless or alienated for many years, I am excited and uncertain about what to do next. There are many paths in psychology, and I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I’m interested in working directly with people, doing research, or being a counselor, and I’m thinking about which one is the best choice for me.

Choice 1 : I decided to become a clinical psychologist.

Choice 2 : I decided to work as a counselor.

Choice 3 : I decided to do research.

psychologist

I decided to become a clinical psychologist.

I join a Doctorate program in Clinical Psychology. My goal is to help people who have mental health issues. After several years of training, I’m ready for my internship at a local clinic. I hope to find fulfillment there.

Choice 1 : I will work with children.

Choice 2 : I will work with adults.

clinical psychologist

I will work with children.

During my internship, I meet a young boy who is having trouble with anxiety and making friends. I’m determined to help him not to hinder his progress by using special therapy techniques. Today is our first session.

Choice 1 : Start with playing games.

Choice 2 : Talk straight away.

psychologist with children

I will work with adults.

During my work experience, I met a woman who is having a hard time with stress from her to find a balance in her life. I want to help her by showing her good ways to feel better and not withhold any help.

Choice 1 : Try again

working with adult

Start with playing games.

I bring out toys and games to make the boy feel comfortable. As we play, he starts to share his feelings. After several sessions, he gets a lot better. I feel happy about this, but I also wonder if I should involve his parents more to be sure that we don't undermine his efforts.

Choice 1 : Schedule a meeting with the parents.

Choice 2 : Keep focusing only on the child.

playing with children

Talk straight away.

Between my interviews, I met a person who felt sad and alone. I want to help them by talking about how they feel.

Choice 1 : Start playing games

Schedule a meeting with the parents.

I invite the parents to talk about their child’s progress. They are thankful for the update, and I share ways they can help their son at home. The meeting goes well. I realize how important it is to include parents in the therapy process and look forward to continuing this approach in my work.

Choice 1 : Team up.

Choice 2 : Ask questions.

meeting parents

Keep focusing only on the child.

I was at the clinic and saw kids who are feeling shy and a little nervous. I want to help them by playing together and having fun. Today, I will ask them to play a game and talk about things they like.That they can have a sense of accomplishment.

Choice 1 : Try again

Team up.

I team up with students to get to know them better.

Choice 1 : Learn about them more.

Choice 2 : Give advice.

Ask questions.

I spoke to their parents about when their kids. I asked the kid's mom what games the kids liked to play and the dad what their favorite food was. I learned a lot and felt happy to be with them and feel a worthwhile bond.

Choice 1 : Start over

Learn about them more.

They told me about their hard times when they were young, they felt alienation at a new school and being scared to speak in front of people. Learning about their challenges made me like them even more and realize that everyone has tough times.

Choice 1 : Start again

Give advice.

They gave invaluable advice to future kids, reminding them to always ask questions, be nice, and be brave to try new things. Their kind words encouraged kids to believe in their dreams and make a better future.

Choice 1 : Start over

| decided to do research.

| Apply for a Master's program in Psychology. My goal is to understand how people behave. After a year of classes, I'm now getting ready for my first purpose in research project.

Choice 1 : Study anxiety.

Choice 2 : Study child development.

Study anxiety.

I study to see how paying attention techniques help reduce anxiety in young people. I gather a group of advantage participants and start collecting data. Things are going well until I have trouble finding enough participants.

Choice 1 : Extend the recruitment period.

Choice 2 : Change the rules.

Study child development.

Not interested.

Choice 1 : Try again

Extend the recruitment period.

By giving more time to apply, I let everyone get ready and share their ideas, which helped me bring more people together.

Choice 1 : Try again

Change the rules.

I changed the rules so these kids of all ages and different backgrounds could join. This helped me get many more people to take part even abroad. After checking the numbers of people, I found some cool things that show that some easy techniques can help with feeling anxious.

Choice 1 : Start over

I decided to work as a counselor.

| got into a Master's program in Counseling Psychology. I aim to support people who are facing tough times. After finishing my training, I got a job at a community center. But my first client is a young adult who is very stressed.

Choice 1 : Be direct.

Choice 2 : Be caring and understanding.

Be caring and understanding.

I try to build a good friendship and make a safe space for my client to talk about their feelings. In our next meetings, we discuss what makes them feel stressed and work together to find ways to feel better. I feel really happy when I see my client getting better at dealing with their problems.

Choice 1 : Use certain methods.

Choice 2 : Stay open to adjustments.

Be direct.

I learned that being direct isn't always helpful because it could sometimes confuse people.

Choice 1 : Try again

Stay open to adjustments.

I choose to be flexible and change how I help my client based on what they need as they get better. This works well, and they are making great progress. I realize how important it is to adjust my support for each person, and I’m excited about what’s coming next in my journey.

Choice 1 : The End

Use certain methods.

Not helpful for everyone.

Choice 1 : Try again

Comments